Ability to use functions from external DLLs/SOs/DYLIBs

A place to request possible features that you would like to see in Open RPG Maker.
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for Feature Requests only. Any general discussion topics, help requests, bugs, or technical questions/comments submitted to this forum is not allowed. Anyone caught posting spam will immediately have their account permanently banned. If you feel someone hacked your account and posted spam notify me the administrator and I'll re-enable you're account, but any future spam posts will result in you being permanently blocked with no exceptions.

Ability to use functions from external DLLs/SOs/DYLIBs

Postby Rave » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:12 pm

I'd like to be able to use functions from external DLL libraries in OpenRM, for example WinAPI or FMOD or any other lib that comes in DLL/SO form.
We are Linux. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
Rave

Re: Ability to use functions from external DLLs/SOs/DYLIBs

Postby Tuxinator » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:05 am

Unfortunately the general problem with being able to do so is rather dangerous from a security standpoint. However one idea I had was to make the engine more extensible by figuring out a way to do a plugin system that can be called from an event (ie. tell the event to run a specific plugin) and then make the plugins fully compiled c/c++ code, which would drastically increase what becomes possible with this tool, far greater than what could be achieved through a scripting language. Also, with that system in mind, it might be theoretically possible to use external libraries from within the plugin (not exactly sure on that though, will have to look into it more).
Tuxinator
Site Admin

Re: Ability to use functions from external DLLs/SOs/DYLIBs

Postby kramlat » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:55 pm

Rave wrote:I'd like to be able to use functions from external DLL libraries in OpenRM, for example WinAPI or FMOD or any other lib that comes in DLL/SO form.

Tuxinator wrote:Unfortunately the general problem with being able to do so is rather dangerous from a security standpoint. However one idea I had was to make the engine more extensible by figuring out a way to do a plugin system that can be called from an event (ie. tell the event to run a specific plugin) and then make the plugins fully compiled c/c++ code, which would drastically increase what becomes possible with this tool, far greater than what could be achieved through a scripting language. Also, with that system in mind, it might be theoretically possible to use external libraries from within the plugin (not exactly sure on that though, will have to look into it more).

what the poster means is dynamically loaded modules such as a new item in the menu, a new editor tab, etc, which can have a module signing system added to increase security if that sounds better. your choice, tux.

I would be willing to help implement this and add a module signing system (certificate based). For most non-idiots, this measure should do fine, as for people that blindly accept everything, there is nothing we can do to protect them except make the program as inflexible as possible.
kramlat

Return to Feature Requests