Help with Installation on Windows 7

A place to request help, from other users, on a particular issue you're having with Open RPG Maker.
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for Help Requests only. Any general discussion topics, feature requests, bugs, or technical questions/comments submitted to this forum is not allowed. Anyone caught posting spam will immediately have their account permanently banned. If you feel someone hacked your account and posted spam notify me the administrator and I'll re-enable you're account, but any future spam posts will result in you being permanently blocked with no exceptions.

Help with Installation on Windows 7

Postby sevvs » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:39 pm

Hey guys, I'm having some trouble getting Open RPG Maker to install correctly on my system and I can't quite figure out why. It's a bit of a bummer, since I'd really like to get this program working--it seems very promising. I'm running Windows 7, and when I try to install the .exe file for V1.1 or 1.2, it gives me a CRC32 error while unpacking either the .exe itself or importrm2k3background.dll, and installs incorrectly and won't open. When I try unzipping the .tar file version instead, it tells me the archive file is corrupt or incomplete, and aborts. Anyone else having this problem, or know what might be going on? I've run it every way I can think of, and nothing's helped thus far.
sevvs

Re: Help with Installation on Windows 7

Postby Tuxinator » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:09 pm

After googling a bit it sounds like you're having a common issue with windows 7 and windows vista. Try googling "windows 7 crc error" and see if you find anything that helps fix it. Also try downloading other programs and/or archives and see if it happens with those as well. Also note that the tarball archive is the source archive and isn't setup to be easily compiled on windows. With a few modifications to the project file it can be, but I haven't bothered to set that up since it's easier for windows users to just simply install a binary.
Tuxinator
Site Admin

Postby alpha2013 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:00 pm

I am also unable to install on Windows 7 using the binary installer. However I have a different error. My error states: Cannot open file for writing at: AUTHORS.txt. (AUTHORS.txt is at the end of the file address.) Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am really looking forward to trying out this program.
alpha2013

Postby Tuxinator » Thu May 09, 2013 5:07 am

Sounds like you're having a permissions issue. Try right clicking the installer and selecting "Run as Administrator" and see if that fixes it. Other wise try changing the install path to something like "C:\Games\OpenRPGMaker" and see if that does it.
Tuxinator
Site Admin

Postby alpha2013 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Running as administrator worked perfectly.
alpha2013

Return to Help Topics